The CMO’s Guide to Marketing Organization Structures
The Digital Age | Rethinking Marketing Structure
In a recent post on LinkedIn entitled “Marketing ROI Pressure? Automate!” I broached the subject of marketing organization structure. As a HubSpot platinum agency partner, WSI has access to some pretty exciting content and they’ve recently put out a highly informative slide share called the “CMO’s Guide to Marketing Org Structure”.
Mike Volpe, HubSpot’s CMO wanted to spark discussion among marketing leaders by asking a diverse set of innovative CMOs to contribute their marketing department’s structure to the roll-up presentation. His hope, and I think he nailed it, was that the generous contributions of organizations like Forrester, Ruelala, Mindjet, GitHub, HubSpot, Zendesk and Atlassian would shed some light on how marketing leaders are rethinking how to organize their departments to take advantage of changes to all stages of the buying process.
The Organization Structures
- The elastic org whose flexible structure allows for adding headcount and/or functions seamlessly as the company’s product mix evolves
- The “TOFU” org, built to scale top-of-funnel (“ToFu”) growth
- The inbound org, focused on providing a buyer-driven inboud experience
- The funnel-focused org, has three separate teams for managing relationships, demand and prouct collateral for the sales team
- The culture org which is flat and where everything is based on merit. The goal of this marketing structure is to transfer the culture everywhere
- The customer org built with a focus on the entire marketing funnel;awareness, lead gen, nurturing and retention
- The creative org aligning marketing, merchandising and creative for seamless shopping experiences
- Actual Organization Charts and Job Descriptions
After viewing the actual org charts for these structures, there are also downloadable job descriptions for each role on the charts. Now that’s what I call some high value content!
I’d encourage you to visit this link The CMO’s Guide to Marketing Organization Structures where you can access all the content described in this post.
Regardless of which marketing automation platform your business implements, any of the structures described here will work for the type of needs your business currently has. I hope you will find this content as valuable as I have.
About the author: Heidi Schwende is the Chief Digital Officer at WSI Digital Moxie Inc. She has extensive experience working with Fortune 500 companies in the technology and energy sectors as well as experience working with key organizations in verticals such as mobile technology, loyalty, pharmaceuticals and retail. Heidi also sits on the Technology Advisory Board for the CSAE, the Institute for Human Resources, Social Media and Employee Communications Technology Advisory Board and is Board Vice-President Web Development for Image Impact International. In addition to her LinkedIn profile, you can also interact with Heidi on her Twitter account @WSIDigitalMoxie.